29 Oct It’s A Girl Thing!
Join JLCM in the fight to end period poverty in Cobb County
In 2018, Junior League of Cobb-Marietta (JLCM) sustainers discovered an issue in the community that desperately needed to be addressed— women and girls were missing school, work, or similar events due to lack of access to period products. According to the Alliance for Period Supplies, 1 in 4 women struggled to purchase period products within the last year due to lack of income. To address this growing issue, JLCM has rallied together with community outreach programs to launch the It’s A Girl Thing! initiative to help fight period poverty. Since launching this effort, JLCM has collected and distributed more than 100,000 feminine hygiene products.
Join JLCM in our annual It’s A Girl Thing! Donation Drive
During the COVID-19 heath crisis, JLCM is committed to distributing as many products as possible to the people who are most affected. We will be collecting products and monetary donations to purchase period products for school-age girls in the Marietta and Cobb County school systems, as well as our nonprofit partners supporting women throughout Cobb County.
How can you help?
- Visit our donation page to purchase a bundle of period products. 100% of monetary donations will be used to purchase period products that will be distributed to nonprofits and schools in Cobb County.
- Become a donation site. We are committed to working collaboratively with companies and organizations across Cobb County to maximize collection efforts. Donation sites will be provided in person and social media marketing materials for promotion.
- Advocate for change. For the past two legislative sessions, Georgia lawmakers have attempted to remove the tax on period products with House Bill 8, but efforts have gone nowhere. By the end of last year, 10 states had specifically exempted menstrual products from sales tax. Lobby elected officials to ask for laws that help ensure all individuals have the essential period supplies necessary to fully participate in daily life.
- Spread the word. Join the conversation, raise awareness or share the news of your contributions on social media using the hashtag #JLCM_ItsAGirlThing and tagging us:
- Facebook: com/JuniorLeagueofCobbMarietta/
- Instagram: @juniorleaguecobbmarietta
- Twitter: @JLCobbMarietta
- LinkedIn: Search “The Junior League Cobb-Marietta”
To learn more and support this initiative, contact JLCM Gives at firstname.lastname@example.org.